kexec+kdump + vmcoreinfo patch

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 14:04:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 10:09:52AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:55:38 -0400 Neil Horman wrote:

> > > Hi Neil,
> > >
> > > crashkernel=64M at 16M
> > >
> > Hmm, well that should be enough.  looking at your log, it appears as though you
> > have a 512k chunk allocatable, which should seem sufficient to go on a little
> > longer.  The fact that your not seems to indicate that you are allocating a
> > suspiciously large single chunk of ram.  I'd configure your initramfs to drop to
> > a shell prompt before it sets up lp0.  Then you can step through the actions of
> > the init script and monitor the contents of /proc/slabinfo to get an idea of
> > whats eating up all your lowmem prior to the oom kill.
>
> I don't have an initramfs (nor an initrd).
> Is one required for using kexec + kdump?

Are you passing a root device directly to the kernel for mounting then?  that
likely changes things.  As to weather or not you need an initramfs depends
entirely on your kernel configuration.  Strictly speaking, you don't need one,
since you can configure the kernel to find the root device on its own via the
command line, but I would recommend an initramfs, since you can customize it for
use in a particular dump environment, without needing to rely on things like
udevd to create device nodes for you.  You can find the latest kexec-tools srpm
on my home page:
http://people.redhat.com/nhorman
if you want to look at the mkdumprd utility to see how we assemble the
initramfs.

Regards
Neil

> Anyway, I'll try to do your suggestion somehow.  Thanks.

> ---
> ~Randy
> *** Remember to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist when testing your code ***

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.
 *nhorman at redhat.com