EAP-SIM works in simulation mode but does not work with real SIM card

Ali Shirvani aj.shirvani at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:15:26 PDT 2023

Hi,

I am testing the EAP-SIM authentication method using hostapd and
eapol_test program. I have written the Ki and OPc values on the SIM
and used the following configuration to run the test scenario:

# wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=SIM
        identity="1001010000000003"
        password="11111111111111111111111111111111:11111111111111111111111111111111"
#       pcsc=""
#       pin="1234"
}

The above configuration works fine when using the simulator mode of
eapol_test, but it does not work when commenting identity and password
and uncommenting pcsc and pin, even though I write the same values as
Ki and OPc to the SIM. I should note that the error reported by
eapol_test is: "EAP-SIM: Challenge message used invalid AT_MAC". Do
you have any suggestions?

P.S: The eapol_test logs and the corresponding pcap attached.