Memory footprints in website

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:01:50 PDT 2023

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 8:49 PM Steve deRosier <derosier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 5:59 AM Krishna Chaitanya
> <chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Either way looks like the website text needs an update, as customers
> > just refers to that expect to match reality.
> >

> "customers"?  I'm sorry, but did you PAY money to use hostapd? To the
> actual maintainers?
>
> There is a misconception that keeps happening; I saw it on the
> linux-wireless list a couple of days ago. Often people who use
> open-source software seem to think that just because they USE it means
> that they can make DEMANDS on maintainers. Maintainers are volunteers.
> The vast majority of which are not paid to do this work in any way.
> Sometimes their paid job in the past included some work that was in
> the area of what they maintain, but as often happens, they keep the
> maintainership up long after it is nothing but an interest. And
> demands make it an unpleasant thing to keep working on.  This is how
> we keep losing maintainers.

Woah, where did this come from, I am not demanding anything
from anyone. This response is completely misplaced, attention seeking and
out of proportion

"Customers"  was used to give a context as to why
the numbers are important.

> And furthermore, have you EVER seen documentation that actually
> matches reality?  In my experience, it's usually out-of-date within
> moments of when it gets posted.
Of course not, that is what I am trying to fix, as I cannot fix the
website myself, started
a discussion as we are supposed to.

> Please feel free to do the work to figure out the correct figures
> (keeping in mind that of course it will be different on different
> architectures, configurations, and even compilers) and submit a patch
> against the website text. I'm sure the maintainers would be thrilled
> to update it if someone did so.
If you had taken the time to read my full e-mail, you can see I did
the work and wanted to
Share and confirm with the community. Patches aren't applicable to the
website, they are for the
sources. One would just start a thread in the forum and conclude
before even attempting to
do anything.