Memory footprints in website

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 05:57:47 PDT 2023

Hi,

Looking at https://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/ the memory footprint for a
WPA2-personal binary
is stated as 50KB on the x86 target without any debugging.

I have tried to compile a minimal configuration WPA as below on RPI
(had some issues with 32bit compilation on my 64bit machine):

CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
CONFIG_LIBNL32=y
CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_NO_WPA_PASSPHRASE=y
CONFIG_NO_CONFIG_WRITE=y
CONFIG_NO_CONFIG_BLOBS=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211AC=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211AX=y
CONFIG_NO_ROAMING=y

but got the binary size of ~289K, am I missing something? or are the
numbers outdated?

$ size wpa_supplicant
 296330   12684     440 309454   4b8ce wpa_supplicant

But the help text for CONFIG_NO_WPA mentions ~35-50KB reduction, with

CONFIG_NO_WPA=y
CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=n

we get ~237K, so, that is 52K reduction, so, can I assume that the
"wording" should be a reduction and not absolute binary size?

Either way looks like the website text needs an update, as customers
just refers to that expect to match reality.

Cheers.