Pixel6 was not able to connect due to phone indicates support for SAE H2E, but did not use it

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri May 27 14:48:19 PDT 2022

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:13:39PM +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> In addition, I went through the FILS Discovery frame details and
> compared it to the way this frame is defined in the standard. I don't
> think I agree with the Length field use here, so that's something that
> I'll take a closer look as well. hostapd has similar design in setting
> the Length field value to point beyond the TPE element, so there might
> be multiple implementations doing this differently compared to my
> interpretation. I guess this requires some more discussions to confirm
> my interpretation. Anyway, the frame can still be parsed successfully,
> so I don't think this would have anything to do with that SAE H2E issue.

Actually, this is fine in both the captured frame and hostapd
implementation. I should have double checked the manual parsing, used
variables names, and my recollection of the standard.. ;-)

In other words, I cannot really see any AP issue in the particular
capture file. I reported this to the STA vendor so they will hopefully
take care of figuring out that part.