Fail to access RSN property with DBus if pairwise cipher suite count is 0

Deroire, Guillaume Guillaume.Deroire at hach.com
Wed Mar 30 04:10:52 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I'm not able to get the RSN data from a WiFi network using the fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.BSS DBus interface.

I get the following DBus error when I try to access the RSN property: "wpa_dbus_get_object_properties: failed to get object properties: (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed) failed to parse RSN IE"
If I enable wpa_supplicant debugging, I get the following: "wpa_parse_wpa_ie_rsn: ie count botch (pairwise), count 0 left 4"

The raw RSN IE data are the following: "300c0100000fac04000000000000"
Which I decode as:
        Element ID : 0x30
        Length : 0x0C
        Version : 1
        Group Cypher CCMP : 0x000fac04
        Pair wise cipher suite count : 0
        Authentication suite count : 0
        RSN capabilities : 0

wpa_supplicant rejects it due to "Pair wise cipher suite count = 0" but it seems to be valid.

I have a very reduced knowledge of WiFi internal, so could someone clarify if it is invalid and my AP is badly configured or if it is a valid RSN that must be supported ?

I have the same behavior with wpa_supplicant 2.7 and 2.9 and according to source code (https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/src/common/wpa_common.c#n1618), I'm expecting to have the same with the 'main' branch.

Regards

Confidential - Company Proprietary
Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included in any attachment.