EAP-TLS RADIUS login for local user authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 10 15:14:33 PDT 2022

On Jun 10, 2022, at 5:04 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> We have an existing application (written in Python) which uses RADIUS for user authentication.  To satisfy security/crypto requirements, we are requested to use EAP-TLS via RADIUS because plain RADIUS is not sufficiently secure.

  I'll answer this as a RADIUS person.  RADIUS hasn't been "broken" in the security sense.  For all intents and purposes, it's fine.

  That being said, it's always a good idea to use the latest and greatest security.  The question is, what do you need?  Why are you choosing EAP-TLS versus TTLS (with passwords)?

> In order to satisfy the requirement, it appears that 'hostapd' needs to be added like this:
>
>  RADIUS Server <--> hostapd <--> wpa_supplicant <--> LOGIN App

  You need to use eapol_test, which also comes with hostap.  It sends RADIUS packets directly.  You can also use eapol_test as an example of how to integrate RADIUS + EAP into your application.

  And if you want to secure the RADIUS traffic, you should use RadSec (RFC 6614).  All major RADIUS servers support it.

  Alan DeKok.