Enabling OCV doesn't automatically enable MFP in wpa_supplicant

Michael Yartys michael.yartys at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:48:38 PST 2022

Hi

Setting ocv=1 doesn't automatically enable MFP in wpa_supplicant like it's supposed to do when ieee80211w is not already set to 1 or 2. When I try to connect to a network with MFP set to mandatory the wpa_supplicant client is unable to do so, and the following message appears in the log:

wlan0: 3: ac:7b:a1:b6:50:8a ssid='testing' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=20 caps=0x411 level=-52 freq=2412
wlan0:    skip RSN IE - no mgmt frame protection enabled but AP requires it
wlan0:    reject due to mismatch with WPA/WPA2

This happens when I use the following minimal wpa_supplicant config:

network={
   ssid="testing"
   psk="thisisatest"
   ocv=1
}

If I include ieee80211w= 1 or 2 my client is able to connect without issues, so there appears to be something wrong with the code that is supposed to automatically enable MFP.

Michael