question about error nl80211: Frame command failed: ret=-1 (Operation not permitted)

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Feb 10 04:29:54 EST 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 01:31:43AM +0000, Piotr Lobacz wrote:
> I am trying to use NetworkManager together with wpa_supplicant 2.9 with closed driver for rtl8192f chip. I have set a hotspot connection and the problem is that if i try to connect to it from any device i get this error from subject. I have also attached full log in here: https://pastebin.com/VyTgz0WA .

That NL80211_CMD_FRAME failure is reported for the case where
wpa_supplicant (in AP mode) is trying to send a Probe Response frame as
a response to the Probe Request frame that the driver delivered to upper
layers. However, the driver seems to refuse to transmit the response.

Taken into account that "closed driver" part, I'm not going to try to
speculate on this more than note that there are many drivers that handle
Probe Request frame processing internally and as such, I would not be
very surprised if they do not accept Probe Response frames from user
space. If the driver is indeed taking care of that functionality, I
would simply ignore this failure.