DPP Authentication Success Bug

Schmidt, Wystan W Wystan.Schmidt at charter.com
Tue Aug 10 11:03:44 PDT 2021

Hi,

In the current implementation of hostapd, it's possible for hostapd to get stuck in a loop when DPP Auth succeeds but it does not receive a DPP config request from the enrollee.

According to the logs, hostapd thinks it is still in the middle of a DPP Auth exchange, even though DPP Auth succeeded.

><3>DPP-RX src=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=0
><3>DPP-TX dst=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=1
><3>DPP-TX-STATUS dst=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx result=SUCCESS
><3>DPP-RX src=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=2
><3>DPP-AUTH-SUCCESS init=0
><3>DPP-RX src=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=0
><3>DPP-FAIL Already in DPP authentication exchange - ignore new one
><3>DPP-RX src=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=0
><3>DPP-FAIL Already in DPP authentication exchange - ignore new one
><3>DPP-RX src=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx freq=2412 type=0
><3>DPP-FAIL Already in DPP authentication exchange - ignore new one

On the enrollee I can see the DPP Config Request Timeout, and hostapd refuses to do DPP Auth again even after several minutes.

Has anyone else come across this bug?

Thanks,

Wystan Schmidt
Charter Communications

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.