802.11r not working

Dennis Bland dennis at dbperformance.com
Thu Sep 24 00:10:32 EDT 2020

Does 802.11r over-the-DS work correctly in WPA-Personal mode?

Regarding hostapd with OpenWRT:  Normally you would include hostapd
with OpenWRT, as it's an AP platform.  If you only want the 802.1X
authentication functionality of OpenWRT, is there a reason why you
wouldn't simply use FreeRADIUS as your authentication server?

If you are observing STA action frames being forwarded from the
currently-associated AP to the virtual OpenWRT node, then the STA
considers the virtual OpenWRT to be a valid roam target.  Or those
frames are actually encapsulated EAP over RADIUS packets to perform a
full STA reauthentication during a (non-802.11r) roam.

A wireless packet capture of 802.11 management frames would really
help debug this issue.