802.11r not working

Michael T Farnworth michael at turf.org
Tue Sep 22 04:55:44 EDT 2020

I have 8 "boxes" running the latest snapshot of OpenWrt.  7 of these are
typical router boxes with WiFi hardware (Archer C7 v2, Archer A7 v5,
Armor z2) and the remaining one is virtual and runs under KVM on a server.

I didn't think 802.11r was working so I ran a tcpdump on all 8 devices
and it appears that my Samsung Galaxy S9 is sending the 802.11r ethernet
890d frames to the MAC Address of the KVM based router, which as it has
no WiFi hardware couldn't have been the original associating WiFi point
and obviously isn't running hostapd.  Obviously no response is ever
given to any of these packets as a consequence.

The KVM based router is running the radius server, does anybody have any
thoughts on why this is happening?  I really don't understand why my
phone is looking in the wrong place for a response!

Thanks,
Michael