Configuring WiFi6 in hostapd

Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan sugandhgowda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:48:43 EDT 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:27 AM Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan
<sugandhgowda at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have captured connection between a WiFi6 AP and a WiFi6 STA in wireshark.
> >I have attached a wireshark pcap file.
> > I could see HE capabilities exchange in Association request and response.
> Yes, this looks fine to me except for VHT IEs in the probe and
> association response in 2.4GHz.
> Maybe this is what is confusing, can you please disable ieee80211ac=0
> in the hostapd.conf and try?
I disabled iee80211ac and I am not seeing VHT capabilities in Association
frames but the data rate remains the same.I am attaching wireshark capture.

> The iw phy output is below. I couldn't see HE connection in this output.
>
> $iw dev wlp3s0 link
> Connected to 8c:c6:81:69:86:65 (on wlp3s0)
>     SSID: WiFi_AX200
>     freq: 2437
>     RX: 27838 bytes (199 packets)
>     TX: 13319 bytes (97 packets)
>     signal: -34 dBm
>     rx bitrate: 26.0 MBit/s MCS 3
>     tx bitrate: 2.0 MBit/s
>
>     bss flags:    short-slot-time
>     dtim period:    2
>     beacon int:    100
>
> > The link doesn't show any specific details related to HE other than
> > the MCS which can vary, try running
> > an iperf to see HE MCSes in a clean channel.

Could you please explain what this means.
I want to know what clean channel means and where actually I can see HE MCSes.

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM Krishna Chaitanya
> <chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan
> > <sugandhgowda at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I guess this is a new STA with wpa_supplicant, right? Is it also AX200 based
> > > chipset? In the STA mode, the kernel adds the HE IEs (either mac80211
> > > or the driver),
> > > so, but interestingly in your previous dmesg, I don't see any mac80211 logs.
> > >
> > > So, need dmesg logs that capture the connection (look for mac80211 logs).

> > > Yes this is a new STA connecting AP with wpa_supplicant.
> > > It is also an AX200.
> > > I don’t see mac80211 logs on the STA dmesg.
> > > I am attaching dmesg of the station.
> >
> > These are from mac80211:
> > [  152.255545] wlp3s0: authenticate with 8c:c6:81:69:86:65
> > [  152.258347] wlp3s0: send auth to 8c:c6:81:69:86:65 (try 1/3)
> > [  152.283971] wlp3s0: authenticated
> > [  152.286624] wlp3s0: associate with 8c:c6:81:69:86:65 (try 1/3)
> > [  152.293456] wlp3s0: RX AssocResp from 8c:c6:81:69:86:65
> > (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=1)
> > [  152.299672] wlp3s0: associated
> > [  152.364843] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp3s0: link becomes ready
> >
> > I was hoping to see some prints disabling HE, but looks fine. So,
> > still, nothing from the logs
> > to say why HE is disabled in the STA (why it isn't sending HE IEs in
> > assoc resp).
> >
> > Only Sniffer should tell us without resorting to Whitebox debug.

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Regards,
> > Chaitanya T K.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:55 PM Krishna Chaitanya