Configuring WiFi6 in hostapd

Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan sugandhgowda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 05:54:38 EDT 2020

Hello guys,

I am trying to configure Intel AX200 as WiFi6 access
point for one of the projects.Currently I am using hostapd
to configure AX200 as AP. I have enabled the ieee80211ax
flag in hostapd.conf. I could see the HE capabilities of
802.11ax standard advertised in the beacon frames of the AP .

When I connect WiFi6 stations(also AX200's) to the access point ,
I am observing very low data rates. My setup is that two WiFi6
Stations are connected to WiFi6 AP.
I am using iperf to measure throughput between the stations
and the throughput measured between two stations in the
setup is around 50-60 Mbps.
I am thinking that the low throughput is due to some
inadequate configuration in the hostapd.conf file. Can
someone help me figure out if there are any modifications
to be done in the hostapd config file inorder to get the
capabilities of 802.11ax accurately?
I have Ubuntu both on AP and station side with kernel version 5.4
running on both.

The hostapd.conf is below:

interface=wlp3s0
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=WiFi_AX200
hw_mode=g
channel=6
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=255
rts_threshold=-1
fragm_threshold=-1
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wmm_enabled=1
wmm_ac_bk_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_bk_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_bk_aifs=7
wmm_ac_bk_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_bk_acm=0
wmm_ac_be_aifs=3
wmm_ac_be_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_be_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_be_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_be_acm=0
wmm_ac_vi_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=3
wmm_ac_vi_cwmax=4
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=94
wmm_ac_vi_acm=0
wmm_ac_vo_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmax=3
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=47
wmm_ac_vo_acm=0
ieee80211n=1
ht_capab=[LDPC][SMPS-DYNAMIC][TX-STBC][RX-STBC-1][MAX-AMSDU-7935][DSSS_CCK-40]
ieee80211ac=1
vht_capab=[SOUNDING-DIMENSION-2][BF-ANTENNA-2]
ieee80211ax=1
he_su_beamformer=1
he_su_beamformee=1
he_mu_beamformer=1