CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 status_code=16

Miguel Angel Garcia Martin ea1dof at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 11:09:20 EDT 2020

Hi:

I hope someone can help me to debug this problem. I don't even know if
it is related to wpa_supplicant or not. But I have a Raspberry Pi 4B
running Ubuntu 20 64-bit, and from time to time (randomly) it is
unable to connect to my access point using the WLAN interaace. And
sometimes it connects. A reboot, or even a shutdown, does not help
when it is not connecting. The credentials are OK, because sometimes I
get connected to the AP.

When it does not connect to the AP, it can be like that for hours,
then it connects for a while, and then it disconnects. During the
periods it does not connect, I have tried to connect to other APs, and
it also fails. So I think it is something with the Pi, not with the
AP.

This is the output I get from wpa_supplicant, it is repeated every 10
seconds or so.

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-REENABLED id=0 ssid="MOVISTAR_2D74"
<3>Trying to associate with SSID 'MOVISTAR_2D74'
<3>CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 status_code=16
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="MyWiFiAP" auth_failures=47
duration=120 reason=CONN_FAILED

Any hint of what's going on? Or any test that I can make for further
investigating the problem? I haven't been able to manually force a
connection that succeeds. When it succeeds, it does it randomly
without manual intervention. In one recent occasion, it connected
smoothly to the AP after a 30-minute shutdown.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

     Miguel