Question regarding Single hostapd with Dual radio

Koen Vandeputte koen.vandeputte at citymesh.com
Mon Oct 12 11:45:03 EDT 2020

Hi all,

This is the hw setup:

- 2 boards
- each contains 2 identical radio's (qca wave 1)
- each radio is connected to a sector antenna
- the 2 boards use 802.11r with FT-over-DS (roaming)
- each board uses br-wan (bridge) to exchange FT info

Is it possible to only use a single hostapd instance to control both
radio's? (AP mode)

According to hostapd help contents, it should be possible:

-i   list of interface names to use

So I tried running:

hostapd -i wlan0,wlan1 /tmp/myconfig.conf

It starts, but only acts on wlan0 interface.

[ Node 4 | node-4 ] hostapd -i wlan0,wlan1 /tmp/roam_cfg_wlan0_br-wan.conf
Configuration file: /tmp/roam_cfg_wlan0_br-wan.conf
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->COUNTRY_UPDATE
ACS: Automatic channel selection started, this may take a bit
wlan0: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->ACS
wlan0: ACS-STARTED
wlan0: ACS-COMPLETED freq=5745 channel=149
wlan0: interface state ACS->HT_SCAN
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 4c:5e:0c:12:79:38 and ssid
"NCENTRIC_ROAM"
wlan0: interface state HT_SCAN->ENABLED
wlan0: AP-ENABLED

... no wlan1

I'm doing the same in another case using wpa_supplicant for IBSS,
and over there it works perfectly to control 4 radio's using a single
instance.

Main reasons for asking:

- I'm wondering how instance 1 communicates with instance 2 on the same
device as they need to share the bridge interface ..
   Is this possible?

- Lower RAM usage in embedded environments

For reference, here is the config:

driver=nl80211

ssid2="testssid"

hw_mode=a