Compatible hardware

Wide Ace wideace99 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 04:26:59 EDT 2020

Hello all

This is my first post here.
Thank you for the great work related to the hostapd software witch have
a lot of futures found only in professional wifi router/AP.

Even if Hostapd is a great software it can't work without the proper
hardware and the glue between them are the software driver / firmware,
as a working chain.
Unfortunately finding information related to this working chain on
Internet is an adventure... many times even if the info is correct is
outdated for very old chipsets.

So in my case I started testing with chipset rtl8812au from the info
found on Internet seems to be a supported chipset.
Wrong... after compiling multiple sources I found only one that is only
partially working in monitor mode and injection:
https://github.com/astsam/rtl8812au

Even if the hardware chipset supports 40 Mhz or 80 Mhz channels the
driver don't and this is only one example :(
Trying to use a 5Ghz AP with 20 Mhz is funny at least...

I found a link at https://w1.fi/hostapd/ related to supported wireless
cards/drivers but
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/mac80211 is not
working.
Practically there is no know list of chipsets + open source drivers
related to hostapd... at least for the public like me.

Please update the previous links.

Thanks.