Dual band

Fejes József jozsef.fejes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 07:25:36 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/2018 04:28 AM, Fejes József wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This question was asked a couple of years ago (eg. here
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/hostap/2012-January/025117.html)
>> with a negative answer.
>>
>> However, it seems like things have changed in Linux at least. Recent
>> wifi cards support multiple virtual interfaces with multiple channels.
>> Eg. with the command: iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type __ap .
>> Thus even if I have one card with one chip, I can have multiple wlan
>> devices and the card will handle communication with different
>> bands/channels accordingly.
>

> Which cards do you think support this option?

For example iw reports this for a BCM4366 (it also reports both 2.4GHz
and 5GHz bands in the channel list):

valid interface combinations:
* #{ managed } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1,
  total <= 3, #channels <= 1
* #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP } <= 1, #{ P2P-client } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1,
  total <= 4, #channels <= 1
  total <= 4, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match

Last combination is the key, you can create 4 AP-type interfaces at
the same time. Although it says channels<=1 which is weird for
dual-band but whatever. I've seen pastes where channels was 2.