hostapd does not issue EAP Identify challenge

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Feb 6 08:05:32 PST 2018

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:33:06PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> Under Linux (a MIPS-based router/bridge device), I am using hostapd with the
>> 'wired' driver (no Wi-Fi support included) and am encountering the issue
>> that while authentication is successful if the supplicant issues an
>> unsolicited identity request (e.g. due to unplug/plug the Ethernet cable),
>> hostapd does not itself initiate authentication by periodically transmitting
>> EAP-Request Identity frames (to address 01:80:C2:00:00:03) after being
>> started.
>
> There is no support within hostapd to initiate EAPOL authentication with
> the 'wired' driver, i.e., getting something like this working would
> depend on external components detecting a port change (cable plugged in)
> or some other triggers for initiating.

Is there support with any driver to initiate EAPOL authentication or
does hostapd depend on the natural session-oriented behavior of Wi-Fi
clients for EAPOL authentication to be initiated?

There is quite a lot of code to look at and I am not sure if I am
searching for implementation code which exists at all.

I am looking for a point in the code which can be used to trigger a
server-side initiation of EAPOL authentication.  Any clue as to where
to look is appreciated.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn