hostapd terminates with WPA HT/VHT configuration

Ann Lo annlo.tech at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:04:31 PST 2018

Hi,

When we configure hostapd v2.6 with 802.11ac, 802.11n using channel
161, 20 MHz, and WPA AES security, hostapd v2.6 is able to come up
fine.

If we increase channel width to 40 MHz or 80MHz, hostapd terminates
with the log:
"Could not set channel for kernel driver".

Would you advise how hostapd deals with such configurations? If WPA is
not supposed to be used for 802.11ac and 802.11n, why is channel width
20 MHz OK?

If we use the same configurations except that WPA (wpa=1) is replaced
by WPA2 (wpa=2), then all configurations work fine.

Thanks,
Ann