How to test 802.11v (WNM) in hostap?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Oct 21 08:46:34 PDT 2017

On 10/21/2017 01:06 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 04:24:12PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I had someone ask me about 802.11v support today, and after some googling around,
>> it seems there is at least modest support in hostapd and wpa_supplicant for this.
>>
>> I'm curious if anyone has any suggested setup for how to test & verify
>> this?
>
> WNM/802.11v is a large set of mostly independent features.. Are you
> talking about some specific part of it?
>
> tests/hwsim/test_wnm.py shows how some of the related functionality can
> be tested. test_ap_hs20.py and test_mbo.py hit some areas as well.

I saw at least some of that...I guess my question is more about how the supported
features might be used in real life.  Looks like it pertains to roaming, and at least
some of it seems to require knowledge of other AP's data.  So, do you need some
higher level AP controller to make use of this feature?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>