wpa_supplicant auto reconnect

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 09:14:23 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 11:35 -0500, Jake Magee wrote:
> Is there a way to force wpa_supplicant to auto reconnect to networks
> (and not TEMP_DISABLE them)?  I'm getting the following messages and
> it appears that wpa_supplicant stops trying to connect to the
> network.
> I'm not sure if the ASSOC-REJECT is due to encountering a bad AP, or
> just really poor signal strength.  But either way, I would really
> prefer for it to continue to attempt connections so that when I come
> back in range of a good AP that I automatically connect (this is a
> headless embedded system).
>
> wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: Trying to associate with
> e8:ed:f3:ba:b6:61
> (SSID='EXAMPLE_AP' freq=2462 MHz)
> wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT status_code=16
> wpa_supplicant[497]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0
> ssid="EXAMPLE_AP" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED
>
> I can connect to the serial console and execute `wpa_cli reconfigure`
> to get the connection back up and running when back in range of a
> good
> AP.  It seems that the ASSOC-REJECT sets the network to TEMP-
> DISABLED,
> which prevents auto reconnecting?

That message indicates that the SSID is only marked disabled for 10
seconds.  The next time the supplicant scans, if that is more than 10
seconds later, the network should be re-enabled and selected again.

Is it perhaps that a scan is not happening soon enough?  Have you
enabled background scanning?

You should be able to force a scan with wpa_cli after 10s are up and
see the network be re-enabled and then selected, I think.

Dan