WPA_SUPPLICANT on OLPC not connecting to HOSTAPD on Raspberry Pi

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Mar 8 05:50:52 PST 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 03:25:29PM -0800, Corey McGuire wrote:
> When I watch the OLPC XO attempt to connect to HOSTAPD, I see nothing.
> Not a peep from HOSTAPD.  Again, I suspect HOSTAPD and the RPi are
> fine, but I am writing exhaustively for everyone's sake.

> Moving on to the guest system, OLPC XO Running Debian Jessie.

> Below is my attempt to connect to the Raspberry Pi running HOSTAPD from above.
>
>       http://pastebin.com/wDwsW8Az

This log shows wpa_supplicant requesting a connection with the AP and
the WLAN driver accepting that request. That is then followed by event
message from the driver indicating that the connection failed and the
status code for the failure being 16 (authentication timeout).

Since you don't see anything in the hostapd debug log at this point, the
issue is most likely somewhere in the WLAN drivers on either the AP or
station side. In other words, either the station driver does not even
manage to send out authentication or association request frame to the AP
or the AP driver is rejecting that frame without notifying hostapd of
that. One would need to figure out how to get debug output from the
drivers and/or use a wireless sniffer to verify what frames are
exchanged between the devices. Neither hostapd nor wpa_supplicant can do
much about this since the failure seems to be happening at lower layers
in the stack.