[hostap] WPA/RSN IBSS scp throughput is only 1/10 of Open IBSS?

Xuebing Wang xbing6 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 21:03:42 PST 2017

Hi Community,

I am using 2 Ubuntu PCs to build a RSN IBSS, and RSN IBSS scp throughput
is only 1/10 of Open IBSS.
-  Ubuntu 1: Ubuntu 14.04.5 on Lenovo Thinkpad intel wifi chip 802.11n
(wpa_supplicant v2.1)
-  Ubuntu 2: Ubuntu 16.04.1 on desktop PC with ath9k (wpa_supplicant v2.4)

My conf file is as below. ipv6 scp throughput is about 70KB/s.
------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1

network={
     ssid="SSID-test"
     mode=1
     frequency=2462
     proto=WPA2
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
     pairwise=CCMP
     group=CCMP
     psk="hiddenxx"
}
------

After change to (key_mgmt=NONE) (from key_mgmt=WPA-PSK), ipv6 scp
throughput is about 750KB/s (10 times higher).

Is this expected? Should I try the latest wpa_supplicant?

I first saw this on my OpenWRT board (wpa_supplicant v2.5-devel), so
wpa_supplicant version seems not directly relevant?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Xuebing Wang