802.11r enabled on both bands per AP doesnt work

michael-dev michael-dev at fami-braun.de
Wed Jul 26 08:48:02 PDT 2017

Hi,

802.11r is for roaming between BSS within an ESS (IEEE 802.11-2016
section 13.1 second sentence).

When an AP sends on multiple frequencies, it usually spans multiple BSS.
So for roaming to be possible, these BSS need to part of the same ESS
and thus share the same SSID. For FT, they also need to share the same
mobility domain identifier.

802.11r cannot be used for band steering, that is the AP forcing a
client on a different band, as the client alone decides whether it roams
or not.

Further possible issues:
  - a client might not choose to roam depending on its policy (which
might depend on signal strengh or limit the band)
  - using different hostapd procceses on the same AP for each band needs
extra steps for local RRB communication
    (and depending on your hostapd version also when both bands are
managed from the same hostapd process)

How did you test 802.11r roaming? What do you observe when the client is
"stuck"?

Regards,
M. Braun

12.7.1.7.3 -> PMK-R0 derived from SSID