Expired CRL with integrated EAP server rejects client authentication

David Graziano david.graziano at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Jul 12 14:53:03 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I have a project that is using hostapd with its integrated eap_server
with EAP-TLS authentication. I’m running into an issue with the
check_crl feature. When the crl expires it rejects all eap-tls
authentication attempts with a “TLS: Certificate verification failed,
error 12 (CRL has expired) depth 0” error. I have a use
case/requirement that I need to continue allowing clients to
authenticate even if the CRL has expired as I won’t always have the
ability to download a new CRL with the current one expires.

Strongswan, for example, has a “strictcrlpolicy” option that makes it
tolerant an expired CRL. With this option disabled if the expiration
date defined by the nextUpdate field of a CRL has been reached a
warning is issued, but a peer certificate will still be accepted if it
has not been revoked.

I’ve looked and an option such as this doesn’t seem to exist for
hostapd. Would the community be willing to consider a patch-set adding
such a feature? I’m thinking of adding a new “check_crl_strict” config
option that defaults to the current behavior but when set to 0 ignores
the openssl error codes related to CRL validation dates. Or possibly
add more options to the “check_crl” config option such that when set
to 3 or 4 it behaves the same as 1 and 2 respectively but ignores the
CRL validation dates.

I’d appreciate any input.

Thanks,
David