Potential Bug in 802.11 Open-Authentication State Machine

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jan 13 02:14:41 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 03:49:30PM -0500, Jinghao Shi wrote:
> From reading the code of hostapd. in
> src/ap/ieee802_11.c:handle_auth_cb function,
> it seems the success of the AUTH response packet is required for the AP to
> consider the client as authenticated (if the AUTH response packet failed
> (ok=0), the function will return immediately without setting the
> WLAN_STA_AUTH flag of the sta), which makes sense.
>
> However, when open authentication is used, hostapd marks the client as
> authenticated as soon as it receives the AUTH request packet (
> src/ap/ieee802_11.c:handle_auth). Does this violate the authentication
> protocol as the AUTH response packet may not be successful?

I don't think so. If the station continues with association, it looks
clear that it received the Authentication frame from the AP.

> I guess the ultimate question is: *should the AP consider the client as
> authenticated if the AUTH response packet failed?*

This should be a bit more specific on what "failed" means here. In this
scenario, the station did actually receive the frame and it was the ACK
frame that was lost.

IEEE Std 802.11-2016 describes this in 11.3.4.3
(Authentication--destination STA) procedure step (f). Authentication
state changes on the AP when requesting the Authentication frame to be
sent; not when the non-AP STA sends an ACK frame for this. This is
different from the association process where it is the ACK frame that
changes the state, not the Association Response frame transmission. You
can find that description in 11.3.5.3 (AP or PCP association receipt
procedures) step (l).