[Bisected] Connection failures when using wl driver (Broadcom) since rev. f2a6ad01

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 09:24:52 PST 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 22:24 +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 4 January 2017 at 17:25, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Well, I have updated NM to version 1.4.2 (previously version
> > > 1.2.x
> > > was
> > > used) and the problem seems to be gone. It is not quite obvious
> > > me
> > > from NM's git repo yet, how exactly if was fixed but still.
> >
> > After the randomization was deployed, the NM team found some issues
> > where NM didn't wait long enough (or verify well enough) that some
> > drivers had actually changed the MAC address before continuing with
> > configuration.  That impacted drivers like wl, brcmfmac, and some
> > others that report "success!" to the MAC change request, but don't
> > actually change the MAC address for a short period of time.  NM was
> > not
> > waiting for the change to actually happen in the device, and was
> > assuming that the driver had changed the MAC after reporting
> > success.
>
> Would you care to report this to wireless team (brcmfmac is an
> upstream driver), please? I took a look at
> brcmf_netdev_set_mac_address and I'm not sure what may be missing
> there.

I did report it to Arend; see "brcmfmac MAC address change delay and
500ms down delay" from 2016-09-15 on linux-wireless at .  He then sent a
patch which got committed as 8fa5fdec09cd379c9ecb8972f344f8f308e0ccf3
"brcmfmac: remove worker from .ndo_set_mac_address() callback" and
should be in 4.9 and later kernels.

Dan