hwsim, what is the purpose of it?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Feb 5 04:08:40 PST 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:47:14PM +0300, Siarhei Siniak wrote:
> Hello, I am interested in the use of hwsim in hostap development.
> How do you use it in general, what do you test with it? I've heard about
> scapy toolkit that allows to work with traffic, particilarly easily modify
> or create various headers and the content of message itself. Do you use it
> as well?

mac80211_hwsim is a simulated test environment that allows significant
parts of WLAN implementation in both the Linux kernel (cfg80211 and
mac80211) and hostap.git (wpa_supplicant and hostapd) to be tested
without having to use actual WLAN hardware.

hostap.git includes a test framework with more than 2000 test cases
covering large portions of the available WLAN functionality (hitting
over 85% code coverage for wpa_supplicant and hostapd). You can find
that from the tests/hwsim directory. There's also information about this
on the server I use to run the tests after each commit:
http://buildbot.w1.fi/hwsim/