ssid with double space not stored correctly (possible solution)

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Mon Dec 11 07:03:49 PST 2017

Hi

I was playing around a bit more with trying to fool the shell and
wpa_cli to do what I want. Please see below the results

Am 11.12.2017 um 15:38 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Jouni
>
> Am 11.12.2017 um 11:15 schrieb Jouni Malinen:
>> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 05:56:29PM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
>>> I am running wpa_supplicant 2.6 on an embedded linux platform. It
>>> appears that ssid's with double white space is not correctly written to
>>> wpa_supplicant using wpa_cli
>>>
>>> SALT# wpa_cli set_network 23 ssid \"NOS-CAFE DA  MARINA\"
>>
>> Please note that this gets processed by the shell and since the full
>> SSID value was not quoted, the shell will parse this in a way that
>> removes duplicated whitespace between the command line arguments.
>
> Yes, but
>
> SALT# wpa_cli set_network 23 ssid "NOS-CAFE DA  MARINA"
> Selected interface 'wlan0'
> FAIL
> SALT# wpa_cli set_network 23 ssid \"NOS-CAFE DA  MARINA\"
> Selected interface 'wlan0'
> OK
>
> This is slightly different from the echo example, echo accepts single
> quotes where wpa_cli appears to react differently.

SALT# wpa_cli set_network 23 ssid "\"fooo     bar\""
Selected interface 'wlan0'
OK

SALT# wpa_cli list_networks
Selected interface 'wlan0'
network id / ssid / bssid / flags
0       marina04        any     [DISABLED]
1       MRCYB   any     [DISABLED]
2       club nautico    any     [DISABLED]
3       MARINA  any     [DISABLED]
4       Marina_Bas_du_Fort      any     [DISABLED]
5       TOUBANA any     [DISABLED]
6       Club Med WiFi   any     [DISABLED]
7       HotHotHotSpot!  any     [DISABLED]
8       #1 Wi-Fi iSeaGreen & Rental     any     [DISABLED]
9       Maogany Boutique        any     [DISABLED]
10      MARINA-WIFI     any     [DISABLED]
11       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
12      Wifi_Assembleia any     [DISABLED]
13       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
14       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
15       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
16       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
17       MARINA-WIFI    any     [DISABLED]
18      Praia-GoWiFi    any     [DISABLED]
19      marina01        any     [DISABLED]
20      marina05        any     [DISABLED]
21      marina_nascente any     [DISABLED]
22      CNN01W02        any     [DISABLED]
23      fooo     bar    any     [DISABLED]

Thanks for your help

ET