EAPOL termination + RADIUS only

Turner, Randy Randy.Turner at landisgyr.com
Tue Aug 1 19:27:55 PDT 2017

Hi All,

After reading some of the hostapd documentation, it looks like the individual pieces (EAPOL, EAP, TLS, RADIUS client, etc.) are quite modular.

I was hoping to take advantage of this modularity by creating a hostapd that does NOT include the AP portion

I want to write my own driver that feeds 802.1x/EAPOL packets to the hostapd state machine and receives EAPOL packets for transmission.

I’m not using 802.11 - but I need an 802.1x/EAPOL authenticator to proxy EAP-TLS to a remote RADIUS server - hostapd has all this functionality but I don’t need 802.11.

Is this possible ?  It’s basically a dummy communications driver that supplies EAPOL packets to hostapd and receives EAPOL packets for transmission

I’m actually sending and receiving EAPOL over another type of communications interface (not 802.11)

Thanks!
Randy