[WPA_Supplicant] Problem with TDLS

Nylwosh nylwosh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 02:11:12 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I write here because I encounter a problem when I try to use TDLS
actions with wpa_cli.

I am on Ubuntu 14 (trusty), and try to connect to an access point on a
Nexus5.

So :
1. I downloaded wpa_supplicant-2.6 sources on https://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/
2. In the file wpa_supplicant of the archive, I copied
"wpa_supplicant/defconfig" as "wpa_supplicant/.config"
3. In the file wpa_supplicant/.config, I uncommented "#CONFIG_LIBNL32=y"
and "#CONFIG_TDLS=y"
4. I launched "make" in wpa_supplicant/
5. The 3 following files were created : "wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant",
"wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli" and "wpa_supplicant/wpa_passphrase". I copied
them in another directory and made them executables.
6. I checked that no other process wpasupplicant were running
7. I launched "./wpa_supplicant -D nl80211 -i wlan0 - config1.conf"
with config1.conf :
-----------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1
network={
    ssid="AndroidAP"
    #psk="password"
    psk=ec91f03216fdc8d1ea743dbb14b2852113cd1aa2ddd8d36d84025f3562eff782
}
-----------
8. After the command "dhclient wlan0", I was connected to the AP, and
could ping another device connected to it.
9. I then launched "./wpa_cli"

In wpa_cli, the command "status", for instance, worked well.
But when I launched "tdls_discover <addr>", it returns "FAIL"
("tdls_setup" or "tdls_teardown" have similar behaviour).

With some wpa_printf, I get the error code : -95 (Operation not
supported), and I can't figure what I can do.
That is why I will be very very very thankful if you have some advices. :)

Thank you for your consideration,
Nylwosh