DBus stops listing BSS's

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 09:19:45 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 16:43 -0600, Matthew Stanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While doing work on "Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa" using dfeet & doing many
> (dbus) refreshes on the system bus @ 'fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1'(v2.1).
> The scan-results(BSS's) stop showing up after some time, ie. dfeet
> shows no BSS's when normally 30-40 are around. They do not come back
> after waiting some time. Network Manager(0.9.8.8-0) in suite shows no

Hmm.  That version of NM is... quite old.  Anyway:

> networks in the widget, running a wpa_cli scan & scan_results returns
> an empty list on the terminal. If I restart the network-manager
> service scan results populate in NM/wpa_cli & in DBus. ¯\_(><)_/¯.

That's because when you stop/restart NM, it removes and re-adds the
interface to wpa_supplicant.  You should be able to reproduce that
behavior with:

wpacli interface_remove wlan0
wpacli interface_add wlan0

But if the problem shows in wpacli too, then it's not just a D-Bus
interface issue, but a core supplicant issue.  Debug logs with "-dddt"
from when the problem starts would be necessary.

Also, what wifi driver?

Dan