constructing station variables from hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Sep 22 13:09:19 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 01:15:19PM +0200, michael tetemke mehari wrote:
> The station variables that I am looking for include but not limited
> to transmitted and received packets/bytes, quality indicators (RSSI,
> LQI, noise), data rate, retransmissions and fragmentation of
> packets.
>
> For now I have tried using a hostapd client program to read
> unsolicited messages but the variables are not included in the
> events forwarded by hostapd.
>
> Therefore, I would like to ask if this kind of application is
> possible with in hostapd and if so please let me know.

You can use the control interface command "STA <MAC address>" to fetch
this type of information, e.g., to get the TX/RX statistics. Not all the
values you list above are currently exposed through that interface
(e.g., you might need to fetch them directly from the driver), but this
command would be the appropriate place to extend to include such
information.