Wi-Fi direct concurrent connection

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Oct 15 09:20:07 PDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:56:33AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> What does your P2P config look like?  Are you setting any of the
> p2p_*_channel options?

p2p_listen_channel is not relevant to operating channel selection and
p2p_oper_channel configuration parameters should not be used in any
production use. The correct way of selecting the operating channel for
P2P is either by not specifying anything and allowing wpa_supplicant to
pick a suitable channel or by specifying the channel in the P2P command
(like P2P_GROUP_ADD).

> If you aren't specifying one, then it looks
> like the supplicant picks a random one, which won't work on your
> hardware.  That could be considered a bug in the supplicant, that it
> picks a random channel when the hardware/driver is already associated
> and cannot support more than one channel for concurrent operations.

I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to here. A random listen
channel is selected by design and as noted above, this is not an
operating channel.. As far as operating channel selection is concerned,
wpa_supplicant uses information about the concurrent operations and
tries to use a channel that is already in use as the operating channel
for a new P2P group.