[RFC] mesh: Disable OBSS scan for mesh

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Nov 29 05:41:15 PST 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:48:18PM +0900, Masashi Honma wrote:
> IEEE802.11 2012 "10.15.3 Channel selection methods for 20/40 MHz
> operation" looks only mentions about AP and DO STA. So disable OBSS scan
> for mesh.

While IEEE Std 802.11s-2011 may not have addressed this area (nor IEEE
Std 802.11-2012 or the upcoming -2016 version), I'm not sure this is
really the correct thing to do.. The DO STA concept sounds something
similar to what a mesh BSS should likely have anyway.. Or alternatively,
every single mesh STA would be required to do similar operations.

As far as OBSS scan is concerned, it sounds fine to skip this for the
case when joining an already operating mesh BSS. However, when starting
up a new mesh BSS, I don't see why a mesh STA would have more freedom in
skipping 20/40 MHz co-ex requirements when compared to a STA that is
starting an IBSS or an AP starting an infrastructure BSS.