hostapd error

Ann Lo annlo.tech at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:24:44 PDT 2016

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your information and suggestion. Using -dd option, there
are more information from hostapd, including:

nl80211: Beacon set failed: -16 (Device or resource busy)

Further investigation result is that this happens in the following scenario:
1) hostapd runs OK at channel 36 using 80 MHz width.
2) wpa_supplicant (using the same radio) tries to connect to a remote
AP on channel 36 using 20 MHz width.
3) hostapd is restarted at this point.
4) When hostapd comes up again, it gets the above error.
5) At this point, wpa_supplicant connects successfully.

The radio requires AP and client using the same channel. Does this
mean that the channel width must be the same?

Thanks,
Ann