Can supplicant do VHT on 2.4Ghz?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Mar 4 10:17:07 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:42:18AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> I'm trying to get VHT to work on 2.4Ghz...
>
> It looks like 4.4 kernel with ath10k driver and recent hostapd
> enables VHT on 2.4Ghz.  But, supplicant isn't associating at
> VHT rates.

VHT is defined only for 5 GHz. It does not exist for 2.4 GHz. Sure,
there are vendor specific extensions to be able to use some (mainly,
256-QAM) parts of it. hostapd has support for using a vendor extension
for negotiating use of 256-QAM (vht_vendor=1) which works with ath10k.
wpa_supplicant has no code for such negotiation and based on where we
normally negotiate VHT on 5 GHz, this does not belong in wpa_supplicant
anyway. In other words, there would need to be some driver (or well,
mac80211 in this specific case) changes to add support for the vendor
specific negotiation.