Dynamic AP selection from WPA_Supplicant

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Jun 19 12:41:10 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:19:33AM +0300, khali singh wrote:
> We are facing similar issues and want to achieve the same
> functionality. I wonder if there is something that can be done at the
> wpa_supplicant level rather than all of us writing our own hacks? I
> think this kind of functionality will be useful as wpa_supplicant is
> increasingly deployed in headless devices.

The proper way of doing this is by having an external script that has
the knowledge of what exactly is a suitable AP for the connection. I'm
not sure what wpa_supplicant should really do here and how that would be
generic enough to cover this type of special cases. If you do not want
to configure the SSID, you can leave that out from the network profile
and specify the BSSID of the AP instead. I'm not sure a complete
wildcard SSID matching would make much sense for WPA2-Enterprise,
though, if that is really what's being asked for here. That would
continuously try to connect to all WPA2-Enterprise APs in radio range
and I'm not really sure that would be a good behavior to enable.