No AP mode operation with ap_scan=1 if no matching network is found

Jörg Krause joerg.krause at embedded.rocks
Mon Jul 25 11:46:43 PDT 2016

On Sa, 2016-07-23 at 21:07 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 02:37:58PM +0200, Jörg Krause wrote:
> >
> > I figured out that wpa_supplicant does not go into AP mode
> > operation
> > because the network is marked as "disabled".
> >
> > This is because of the command "select_network" I switch to the
> > network
> > I configured before.
> >
> > So do I have to run "enable_network 0" (id=0 for sssid AP_MODE)
> > every
> > time after running "select_network"?
>
> "SELECT_NETWORK <network id>" is indeed disabling all other network
> profiles apart from the select one. You would need to enable the
> desired
> other network after this command, e.g., with "ENABLE_NETWORK
> <id/all>" or
> "SELECT_NETWORK all".

Yes, this does work. However, in this case, the device goes into AP
mode whne the current network disappears and never reconnects to any
configured network if it comes available.

The desired behaviour I would like to have is an AP scan mode which
only selects the AP mode after power-up when the supplicant runs the
first time and no known network is found. If, however, the current
network disappears, the supplicant should scan for this network or any
other known network, but do no switch to AP mode.

For now, I am using sed in an init script which replaces disabled=1
with disabled=0 for the AP network configuration block and re-set it
back to disabled=1 after any of the other networks is found.

Is there any other, maybe cleaner way, to do it?

Best regards
Jörg Krause