No AP mode operation with ap_scan=1 if no matching network is found

Jörg Krause joerg.krause at embedded.rocks
Mon Jul 11 03:21:49 PDT 2016

Hi,

i have an issue with AP scanning and selection. After power-up the
device should scan for a known ssid and if it does not find it,
initialize an new network in AP mode operation. This is well the
behaviour as described for the 'ap_scan=1' config option.

This is my corresponding wpa_supplicant.conf:

    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    update_config=1
    p2p_disabled=1

    network={
            ssid="AP_MODE"
            key_mgmt=NONE
            mode=2
            frequency=2462
            disabled=1
            id_str="ap"
    }

    network={
            ssid="HOME_NETWORK"
            psk="xxxxxxxxxxx"
    }

If the access point with the ssid "HOME_NETWORK" is not found, the
device should go into AP mode operation, as far as I understand the
'ap_scan=1' config option. Unfortunately, it does not.

Running wpa_supplicant in debug mode I can see that the supplicant
scans for the ssid "HOME_NETWORK" three times and always ends up with
"No suitable network found". However, instead of starting to operate in
AP mode, the supplicant initiates a sched_scan:

    No suitable network found
    Beginning of SSID list
    Add wildcard SSID to sched_scan
    add to filter ssid: HOME_NETWORK
    Starting sched scan: interval 10 (no timeout)

Did I miss something?

Best regards
Jörg Krause