RegDomain issues with setting up 5GHz AP with ath9k - recommendations?

Michal Zatloukal myxal.mxl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:26:38 PST 2016

Hi,
please Cc me into replies, I'm not subscribed.
I'm trying to set up a 5GHz network with an ath9k card from a laptop
- AR5BHB112 (half-length minicard with AR9380). Hostapd reports that the
driver refuses to set AP mode in any 5GHz band I tried. From researching
this issue, this is because the card's firmware is set to "world"
regdomain, which prohibits self-initiated transmissions on 5GHz. From what
I understand, my options are to:
- either patch the ath9k driver to ignore the firmware' regdomain info and
just leave regulatory compliance to crda,
- or flash the wifi card to set a different regdomain for 5GHz

Which option would you recommend? The machine is an all-purpose x86-64
server running ubuntu LTS, so kernel updates are somewhat common and I'd
hate to have to manually recompile a patched ath9k with every kernel
update. On the other hand, guides on how to flash the card are a bit sparse
(or my google-fu is lacking). Links to any helpful guides/howto would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
MZ