Binder interface for wpa_supplicant?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jan 6 13:04:01 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 09:48 -0600, Dan Williams wrote:

> Would be nice for the D-Bus side of things too, since I'm pretty sure
> we'll never be able to convert to GDBus due to the
> dependencies.  Also, if/when the kdbus success shows up, I'm sure
> we'll want to support that too, and the code may or may not be
> similar to the existing dbus code.

Yeah. Ideally we'd be able to generate code for the existing (and
proposed binder) interfaces; however, I don't think that's actually
going to be possible since each one of the existing ones has its own
quirks already that we'd have to keep if we really were to convert.

Perhaps, with dbus, it'd be possible to add "dbus-new2" that would
follow some new tbd semantics, what would you think about that?

As far as binder is concerned, at the core it's just a binary message
passing - what kind of API do you (Christopher) envision on top? Did
you already start working on this? What kind of marshalling does this
use? Is it typically object-oriented, like dbus?

It seems to me that it would be possible to define, in some object-
oriented fashion, the API used, and then map that to the different
interfaces (socket/ctrl-iface, dbus, binder) in some build-time step.

johannes