Binder interface for wpa_supplicant?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jan 6 03:19:32 PST 2016

On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 13:04 -0800, Christopher Wiley wrote:
> The WiFi group in Android is interested in developing a control interface
> for wpa_supplicant based on binder (Android’s native IPC system). This is
> chiefly desirable so that we can get a reasonable RPC interface with
> generated marshaling logic (no string parsing or handwritten boilerplate on
> either side).

I put off replying to this because I couldn't really do or propose
anything ...

I do wonder though if it we can't find some way of at least unifying
two of the three control interfaces? Or perhaps find some kind of
"control interface description language" that can be used to build
different kinds of interface code at build time, so only a single place
needs to maintain it?

That might also get rid of (or, well, generate) a lot of the current
boiler-plate logic.

Perhaps that doesn't need to be tied to this specific topic, but if not
then more quirks/special things would have to be handled since the
binder API would presumably have to be treated as a stable API.

johannes