[CONF] enable 802.11AC in hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Jan 6 02:56:28 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 04:01:54PM +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> This is is the most common mistake we see when new people try the hostapd.
> hw_mode is misleading to think that valid values are a/b/g/n/ac, its
> better to rename it as
> a freq_band don't you think?

I don't see how freq_band would be any less confusing name especially
when there is hw_mode=b and hw_mode=g both of which are actually for the
2.4 GHz band. Furthermore, this this has been hw_mode for almost ten
years and that parameter is used in practically all deployed systems, so
there won't be much of a chance of this going away. An alternative
configuration parameter could be added, but I'm not sure it's going to
make this any cleaner, i.e., whoever writes the configuration will need
to read documentation to understand how HT or VHT channels are
specified. Making the comments in hostapd.conf clearer is obviously a
helpful direction, though.