lost connectivity until "wpa_cli reassociate" is issued

David Mosberger davidm at egauge.net
Tue Jan 5 10:04:34 PST 2016

We are seeing a curious issue with wpa_supplicant (both version 1.0
and 2.5) where WLAN connectivity sometimes gets stuck until a
"reassociate" command is issued.  wpa_cli status does not indicate any
problems as far as I can see (actual MAC and SSID info is x-ed out):

# wpa_cli status
Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ssid=xxxxxxxxxxxxx
id=3
mode=station
pairwise_cipher=CCMP
group_cipher=CCMP
key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=192.168.1.88
address=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

The problem happens with no discernible pattern.  Usually it takes
hours or days before it appears.
Sometimes the problem fixes itself, usually after a few hours.

I'm not overly familiar with wpa_supplicant or WPA in general, so any
tips for how to debug this
further would be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

  --david