Client MLME for non-Linux OS

Neil Cafferkey n.cafferkey at cs.ucc.ie
Mon Jan 4 23:10:42 PST 2016

Hi,

A few years ago I ported wpa_supplicant V0.7.3 to AmigaOS, MorphOS and
AROS. At the time, I found it convenient to use the built-in MLME code,
as the host OSes' network stacks are still Ethernet based.

At that time, my wireless drivers only supported the 802.11g standard and
earlier, and the built-in MLME worked quite well. However, as I now want
to add support for 802.11n, it looks like I need enhanced MLME code. The
problem of course is that the MLME code has been removed from current
versions of wpa_supplicant.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how I should proceed. I would consider
enhancing the built-in MLME code myself, but would there be any
possibility of merging these changes back into the trunk? IMHO the
removed code was useful for alternative OSes in general. Although
wpa_supplicant was designed to be cross platform, its current direction
appears to be more Linux-centric.

Where is the MLME functionality located when wpa_supplicant is used in
OSes such as the BSDs, Windows, etc.? Or do they all have ports of
mac80211 (I believe Haiku does for example)?

Also, in case I'm misunderstanding my problem, could someone confirm that
it is the MLME's role to decide that 802.11n modes should be used and to
tell the driver the MCS to use? (The MLME in 0.7.3 does not seem to
contain this functionality.)

Regards,
Neil