Accounting-On and Accounting-Off being sent on a per-BSS basis not per-NAS

Nick Lowe nick.lowe at lugatech.com
Sun Feb 28 11:27:44 PST 2016

Not to put words in his mouth, I am sure Alan will say and agree that
hostapd should -never- be in the position that it does not send a
NAS-Identifier. Alan?

It is mandatory from the perspective that RADIUS doesn't work reliably
where this is omitted, nor that it is mandatory in the RFC.

I do think that it is hostapd that should enforce that multiple BSSes
are not being accounted with, where Accounting-On/Accounting-Off are
being sent, with the same or no NAS-Identifier. That is the problem
that we need to solve. Pushing that bad elsewhere seems a mistake to
me. We won't actually see the problem being resolved.

I agree that it going to be problematic if the BSSID isn't consistent
and we should use something else at that point. Thanks for the
insight.

Nick