pin based WPS authentication

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Feb 16 09:40:26 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 09:53:20PM +0000, Padmanabha, Seshadri K. wrote:
> I got this working with "wps_pin any" to generate a pin and used this pin in p2p_connect command. What is the significance of pin showed in
> P2P-PROV-DISC-SHOW-PIN 84:dd:20:76:4a:ab 83987175?   Where exactly is this pin used?

You need to authorize the peer joining the group on the GO. This is done
using either the wps_pin or wps_pbc command on the GO's group interface.
When using a PIN, the same PIN needs to be entered on the peer (client)
with p2p_connect.

The PIN included in the P2P-PROV-DISC-SHOW-PIN event is there to make it
easier for the upper level management software. In other words, it is a
randomly generated PIN that could be displayed on the GO device.
However, there is no requirement to use that specific PIN. If it is
used, the WPS_PIN command would be used to authorize it on the GO just
before displaying this PIN so that the peer device could enter it
(P2P_CONNECT .. join).