wpa_cli sometimes "hang" and don't display events

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Feb 5 14:46:45 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 12:16:42PM +0100, Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
> (standard config from tests/hwsim, unix sockets).

Do you mean that wpa_cli was built with CONFIG_WPA_CLI_EDIT=y in
wpa_supplicant/.config?

> After running wpa_cli I just type:
> p2p_group_add

> After that I just see hang - like in attachment - no event seen.
> After I hit <enter> once again I get event with P2P-GROUP-STARTED.
>
> Seems like some monitor eloop issue?

I don't remember seeing this. Enter will force the pending message to be
read, so it is not surprising that you'll see the message at that point
in time. I don't think this would a monitor socket wait, but more likely
eloop socket wait on stdin. Assuming this is with CONFIG_WPA_CLI_EDIT=y,
this is supposed to work, i.e., eloop waits for both stdin and monitor
events in parallel. Without CONFIG_WPA_CLI_EDIT=y, I'd expect this type
of blocking within wpa_cli and event messages getting displayed later.